5 Critical Tips For Alzheimer’s Caregivers
Caring for a loved one with Alzheimer’s can be difficult – it requires a lot of patience, hard work, and a certain knowledge as well. At Friendship Manor, a source of reliable skilled nursing services in Friendship Dr. Nashville IL, we have dedicated caregivers who can help you and your family.
However, here are some quick tips from us at Friendship Manor that you can use as you are caring for your loved one with Alzheimer’s disease:
- Accept the situation. It is only natural for you to be in denial when your loved one begins to show signs of dementia. The very first thing you should do to be an effective caregiver is to accept the situation – no matter how painful it can be.
- Don’t ask them, “Do you remember?”. While patients with Alzheimer’s can sometimes have moments of lucidity where they might remember; it is still better to avoid asking, “Do you remember?” Constantly asking this question will cause frustration – both for the patient and the caregiver. We at Friendship Manor understand how badly you want your loved one to recollect their memories; however, as an experienced skilled nursing services in Friendship Dr. Nashville IL, we highly suggest avoiding this question.
- Put something meaningful in their hand. You can do this when you are trying to connect to your loved one with Alzheimer’s. However, please do be careful when choosing the items you use – some might bring up some bad memories after all.
- Avoid bringing up topics that can upset the patient. If you know that your loved one gets upset when talking about politics, don’t bring up the topic in the first place. It can cause them unnecessary irritation.
- Take care of yourself. When caring for someone with Alzheimer’s, you end up focusing more on your loved one and you might end up neglecting yourself. At Friendship Manor we want you to remember to take care of yourself. After all, you can’t take care of anyone else if you aren’t doing well.
Asking for help isn’t a sign of weakness and caring for someone with Alzheimer’s is not easy. This is why we at Friendship Manor, your friendly provider of skilled nursing services in Friendship Dr. Nashville IL, are here for you! Call us today at 415-234-9887 or come visit us at 1701 N California Blvd. Walnut Creek, California if you want our help. We would be more than happy to lend you and your family a helping hand.